Saturday, September 10, 2016

Book Review: MERMINIA by Emma Cole

22246225


Title: Merminia
Author: Emma Cole
Category/Genre: Fantasy
My Star Rating: 3/5

Goodreads Blurb:

In an underwater world that is as beautiful as it is ruthless, the mertribes are not about to make peace with each other. Selinne is a mermaid who is certain she can take care of herself. But when she is captured by the bloodthirsty Litiants, she finds unlikely help from Gabriel, a warrior who appears as indifferent as he is handsome. As Selinne struggles to make sense of the good and evil around her, she discovers that there is no escaping love or her place in the raging war of the sea.

My Review: 

This book has me a little conflicted.  The plot was amazing. It was original, well paced and had so much promise.  Emma Cole was able to craft a story-line with a beautiful world and romantic elements, while carrying on the conflict with out making it about who ends up with whom.  For me, though, the writing fell flat, which made it difficult to keep myself engaged.  Perhaps it was the unnatural formality of the dialogue, or the lack of sentence structure variations,  but something about the writing style just didn't work for me.  I might pick up the sequel if I found it on sale, but I can't say I would seek it out unfortunately.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment